Friday, June 20, 2008

Good Morning, I Think . . . :)

I know that I have shared with many that the life Shane and I share is VERY close and inexplicably intertwined, but the way in which my life has started to imitate his is getting a little ridiculous. :) Over the course of the past two weeks, it would be safe to say that I have found myself waking up at almost exactly 5 a.m. about two times for every once that I don't. That might not sound all that life shattering, but if you were to take a thorough overview of my sleeping habits over recent history you would surely find that this an hour of the day that I have rarely seen, if ever. I love my sleep, especially the early morning variety. The even more sure thing is that Shane does too. I mean this boy can sleep if he wants to. If left up to his own doing, he would make sure that the sun was good and up before he would ever stick a foot out of bed.

Fast forward to now. Stick Shane several states away where that option is more like a distant dream. His day starts at 5 a.m. at a minimum, and lo and behold, now you got me just popping awake like it is the most natural thing I have ever done. Don't get me wrong. I delight in the morning sky and the chorus of birds outside my window. This week I am subtly drawn to my senses by the fragrant blooms that are bursting from the tree outside my window. The experience is exceptionally serene and just beckons me to glory in the handiwork of my Lord. There is no alarm, no willing myself to greet the day in this way, it just happens. I do want to make clear that that is probably where the similarities abruptly end.

I linger for many minutes, if not hours here until little wee ones wander slowly in to snuggle and share "cuppies" of Honeycombs, while engaged in our morning "Sammy" shows, as they call them. This is in stark contrast to the urgent and disciplined rituals that are commencing many hours away. His is a morning marked by very little beauty, only the bland and uniform. Very little pause for soul affirming or a unique experience with the creator, but an inordinate emphasis on compliance and conformity to a heartless mission. Mine is a struggle not to linger here too long between the sweet dreams that have carried me to this place and the reality of my day that lies ahead. His is a struggle to bury the light and warmth of his happy place brought on only by the night and to bring his body, mind and soul under the subjection of an outside will. Two days marked with promise, and yet propelled into motion in two remarkably different ways.

It is precious to me that I have somehow become a sympathetic participant in his distant journey. I never set out to try and mimic his lifestyle so that we might experience some sort of long distance connection, but I can only imagine that God has seen fit to grant me this unique experience of meeting Him here where I can not only remember, but so deliberately lift up my sweet man into the places that he himself might not be able to go on his own. I can intercede and plead with my Lord to fill Shane's heart and mind with the beauty and depth of a vast and great God. Needless to say I greet the morning in a whole new way. I am overwhelmed by the richness and warmth that it provides. I embrace the comfort that awaits me there, for I know that Shane would want me to, if not for myself, but for him.

Lord bless you today Shane, may God's light shine down upon you and may the beauty that is uniquely yours in Him be a source of strength through all your trials today and always.

1 comment:

40-dayturnaround said...

Sara, what a blessing it is to share in your heart's reflections and whispered prayers for Shane. Prayers are rippling out for you, Shane, and the children.