Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mowing May Be The Perfect Chore

Did I tell you how much I enjoy mowing? There are very few mundane chores that provide so much satisfaction as mowing does for me. :) As soon as I take that very first step I am able to see the fruit of my labor and that just gets me all fired up. It seems like so many times I start a project only to find that I need to do about three other things before I can truly make some headway in the original task. Then throw in that my kids interrupt me probably no less then five or six times as I try and remember what even motivated me to begin, what is now looking to be like a two or three day ordeal. Mowing is not like that. It is so rewarding. I need only to complete one perfectly straight strip to feel the sweet serene feeling that a well groomed yard can bring to my day. Add into that, that I am engaged in some awesome power walking, I can completely lose myself to Nickel Creek, Sara Groves or any of an assortment of amazing musicians on my ipod and there's an excellent chance that I will continue to create that nice sun-kissed tan. In the end, I love the bright sun as it dances with my daughter Cora across the lawn. The heat on my head and the back of my neck contrasted with the cool shivers as I weave in and out of the shadows of the day. I love the smell of the lilacs by the fence, the evergreens that tower over me and of course the freshness of the newly cut grass. I love the color and vastness of the beautiful blue sky that calmly envelops me as I sit in my lawn chair enjoying a bottle of water for a job well done. There, a project done! One of only a few actual things that will be completed today and quite possibly for the whole week. Oh well, if that feels discouraging the good news is it will be time to mow again. Sweet!!

1 comment:

40-dayturnaround said...

Sara, you make me want to run outside and get our mower started up--and it's after 10:30 p.m.! I'm glad you had an enjoyable day.