Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Isolation Inside & Out - How Strange!

I am sitting here in my room feeling a little cut-off from the rest of the world. Although, what started as an internal sensation has begun to materialize externally here in La Porte City. An interesting parallel has been developing. Over the past several weeks we have received much rain over and over again. The ground is satiated, the rivers are pregnant and people are scrambling to protect the extensions of themselves with great vigor. More rain is fore casted yet today. It may even be severe. The news has just informed us that at this point there is not anyway in or out of our little town. How bizarre!! This is my first June in this house so I would be lying if I told you that I haven't been a little concerned about how our home might handle this kind of stress, but so far so good. My heart just aches for those that have not been as fortunate. It really is astonishing to think of all the ramifications a few inches of rain can effect in the lives of so many. I don't know how long I will be restricted to my home, but I can't imagine it will surpass the isolation that I feel in my heart.

I don't want to sound too over dramatic here. I mean, I have such super great support from those that love and care for me. They are all around and never more than a stone's throw away from being there for me. It is really not about that. It is more a sense of knowing. The greatest support from my family and friends is great because they don't even try and know what I think or feel. They don't try and tell me how to feel. They don't throw cliches at me every time I turn around. They do listen. They do express comfort. They do let me be what I need to be. They do help me to stop and really feel. They are so amazing. And yet, in the soft quiet places of my heart I just can't help but feel like this is a journey that is meant only for me. That my feelings, questions and struggles will in the end, be answered by only me. As I seek out the wisdom that only God's word provides and the experiences that He has meant for me to walk through, I know that He will be enough and He has intended for me to glorify Him through all that I discover.

I do find solace in the quiet lonely parts of my day. It has been my habit so far to make my way outside to a nice still place where I can sit and gaze at the sky and be overwhelmed by the expanse that awaits me there. It is that expanse that embraces Shane where he is and all of us everywhere. That kind of hug from the sky is so soothing. I mentioned to Shane last evening, that I was experiencing that yesterday after I mowed our lawn and he just smiled and nodded. He too has taken to the same sort of habit in his day as well. We are such kindred spirits. Sometimes it even surprises me. Being lonely just brings me to a greater awareness of my complete and utter dependence on the Lord, and that is GOOD.

I am feeling that need to look at the sky, so Sam, Cora and I are going to head out and see if we can get a glimpse of what is developing in our little town. I will be in touch with all those of you who are keeping up with me.

2 comments:

40-dayturnaround said...

Sara, what a blessing that you and Shane are such kindred spirits.

Betty Anne said...

I have read and am rereading your blog posts tonight. But tonight, I have been reading them to Kyle, crying as I read. I find myself in some of your words, since Dad's death. I am finding a security in the arms of grief that wrap themselves around me. I want to feel it, experience it and live it. Dad and my relationship with him deserve the time and hurt it takes to experience it all. For you, your loneliness without Shane is your gift of a committed, embraced and fully lived love between you. Ahhh, the gift is so good, and the Giver is so grand. I am so glad to hear you embrace and know the lonliness you so rightfully feel. Thank you for your sacrifice and your insight, Sara. I love you!